Saturday, July 05, 2008

A Collector's Guide to Salem Witchcraft & Souvenirs

I bought this book just for the pretty pictures and because I was truly fascinated by the witch-hunts of the late 1600s in my younger days. I suppose I worried that, had I lived in that time, I might have been accused for being a little bit different.

In later years, I learned that one of the mothers of the accused shared my exact name. Could I be sharing the spirit of a woman who mourned her daughter's suffering? Could her memories have passed down to me through the generations? I'd heard that our ancestors were some of the early settlers, but I thought it might be misinformation.

So, it keeps me on the lookout for information about Salem and the witches, because I feel an ancient kinship to my namesake and to the outcasts of the past.

And this book provides a nice little synopsis of the events and a very informative history of the collector spoon craze, which originated in Salem in 1898 when a clever business owner decided to make a tea spoon to sell to the tourists who wanted to take home a tiny piece of Salem's history.

What will I do with it?
Oh, I have to keep this book too. But it's such a great read, even if you don't collect Salem witch souvenirs, that you should buy your own copy here.

No comments:

by TemplatesForYou-TFY
SoSuechtig, Burajiru
Distributed by Free Blogger Templates